Mexico Missions Trip - Additional Details
2015 YES! Mexico missions trip DETAILS
TRAVEL / Crossing BORDER
- Rancho de Sus Niños is located in eastern Tijuana near Tecate in Valle Redondo, just south of the US/Mexican border.
- Transportation: YES! will be using Rancho's transportation services from and back to San Diego. If you have a strong desire to drive your own vehicle into Mexico, please note on the registration form a possible fee reduction of $25-$50.
- Flight Arrival and Departure Times: Our transportation to Mexico from the San Diego International Airport will depart at 12 noon on Monday, July 20. Please plan your arrival time accordingly, allowing ample time for baggage pickup and slight flight delays. For your flight returning home, please do not consider a departure time from San Diego any earlier than Friday afternoon, July 24. Of course, you are welcome to arrive much earlier than Monday or depart much later than Friday to enjoy beautiful San Diego and the surrounding area.
- Primary Airlines Serving San Diego International Airport: The top five airlines in San Diego are Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Alaska Airlines, and American Airlines.
- Traveling to San Diego by Car: YES! is arranging for parking at a San Diego church, and we plan to depart from that church at 1 PM on Monday, July 20, then crossing the border in a bus provided by Rancho de Sus Niños.
- PASSPORT IS REQUIRED FOR EVERYONE RE-ENTERING THE U.S.. If you are not a US citizen, make sure you have appropriate papers to re-enter the country (i.e. green card, passport/visa, etc.). If you do not have a current passport and anticipate that your international travel will be limited to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, or Bermuda, a passport card is a less expensive alternative. U.S. citizen children under age 16 arriving by land from Mexico may present an original or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or Certificate of Citizenship.
- Mexican customs allows only $50 of new merchandise per person to enter the country duty-free. (This does not include your personal clothing, sleeping bags, etc.) You may be required to pay a duty on your new merchandise. Please contact YES! if you're considering coming with bulk item donations for Rancho de Sus Niños.
- Cost: Please see the registration form at the bottom of this page for cost information.
- Housing: Dorm style, gender separated housing is provided. You will need to bring your own sleeping bag, linens, pillow, towel(s).
- Accompanying Children or Grandchildren: We encourage you to invite a younger family member to join you on this trip. Please understand that your accompanying children will be your responsibility and will likely be assigned to serve alongside you. Reduced rates for children 10 and under are outlined in the registration form below. Minors traveling without their parents or legal guardian will need this form signed and notarized.
- Medical: Medical services are available in San Diego, California. The US Health Department recommends receiving a Hepatitis A vaccine prior to visiting Mexico.
- Weather: While our trip will be in the middle of summer, temperatures do not typically reach beyond the mid-80's.
- Food and Water: All the food and beverages in Rancho's kitchen, such as water, juice and milk are safe. Bottled water and other goodies are available through Rancho's store.
- Communication: There is NO TELEPHONE AVAILABLE FOR USE at the orphanage, but Wi-Fi is available in the campus coffee shop for $10 per week per person. Skype or FaceTime are likely your best choices for communicating back across the border, but feel free to check with your wireless provider for information on mobile phone charges for international calling between the United States and Mexico.
- Laundry: There are no laundry facilities available. Please bring a sufficient amount of clothing.
- Dress Codes: We trust that you know what is appropriate and what is not. If there is something that Rancho's staff feels is inappropriate, just know that you or children under your care will be lovingly confronted about it.
SAMPLE Daily Schedule
- 7:30 am Breakfast
- 8:00 am Worship & Devotional
- 9:00 am Work Project
- 1:00 pm Lunch
- 3:00 pm Ministry/Outreach
- 6:00 pm Dinner
- YES! Mexico is specifically targeting adults over fifty and those younger, especially accompanying family members. We'd love to see many adults over fifty crossing an international border for the first time for the purpose of a missions trip. We anticipate that many churches will be represented, some informally with individuals coming on their own and some coming more formally as part of a church group. If you are a ministry leader at your church and would like to bring a group with you, please let us know early on.
- Collecting Fees: As a group leader, you will need to decide if you are going to personally collect fees from each person, or if you'd like them to individually submit payment to YES! The YES! registration form below can accommodate both options, and we ask that all participants complete the online registration form on behalf of themselves and their family members. (You may need to help some of them with that.)
- Early bird discounts apply to the date payment is made to YES!, so please be sure to submit collected group payments in a timely fashion if you're wanting to get the discounted pricing. Deadline and refund guidelines are the same for both groups and individuals.
- Collaborating on transportation is another benefit of making this a group trip. Taking a church van or bus will likely help increase the participation from your church, if you're coming from a reasonable distance. If your church vehicle insurance allows for travel into Mexico, taking your own vehicle into Mexico would lower registration costs by $50 per person. Airlines also offer group discounts, including Southwest with discounts for 10 or more passengers.
- Subsidizing or Surcharging: Your church may want to help subsidize the individual cost of this trip or add a surcharge for transportation, both potentially good reasons for collecting payment directly and then sending a check to YES! On the other hand, having each participant personally responsible for their own payment to YES! simplifies the process for you as a group leader.