Prospective YES! Board Member
Prospective YES! Board Member
Thank you for your interest in YES! Young Enough to Serve and for your prayerful consideration of serving on the Board of Directors. We are excited about YES! and nurturing over-fifty adults' kingdom potential.
We've attempted to gather relevant information here to give you an organizational overview, along with specific board members' expectations.
YES! Young Enough to Serve inspires individuals and churches toward better stewardship of life's second half. We know our best inspiration flows from our personal relationship with Christ, as we submit our lives to Him. As outlined in Galatians 5, God calls us to freedom, and we’re admonished to use that freedom to serve one another through love.
Some Christian adults stop serving prematurely, allowing vocational retirement to also become spiritual retirement. YES! reinforces the importance of being steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord. (1 Corinthians 15:58)
YES! affirms that each of us has something to contribute and that God has a deep love for every generation represented within His Church. Our culture and many churches tend to isolate generations from each other, creating widening relationship and understanding gaps. A central task of YES! Young Enough to Serve is helping intergenerational relationships emerge and thrive, especially on a spiritual level.
YES! has transitioned to more of a national board and now holds three quarterly meetings remotely by video conference. Board members' physical presence is now expected only annually (in January or February) (Round-trip travel to this board meeting is typically at the board member's own expense, but YES! will seek to minimize other travel expenses by providing lodging and/or local transportation assistance, if needed.) Our next meeting will be in Gilbert, Arizona area on Thursday, February 1, 2018, wrapping up the next morning. Remote board meetings are three times annually, usually running about two hours. Additional meetings are called as needed. Board meeting dates are usually known at least three months in advance.
Board members serve three-year terms and are asked to:
- Pray faithfully for the ministry of YES!
- Financially support YES! Young Enough to Serve through giving personally and helping to identify other prospective donors.
- Participate in organizational development through your personal strengths or gifts. This may mean taking on a special project or participating in some other way to strengthen YES! The Board of Directors intends to be more than an executive decision-making board. It is a working board, with evolving roles for each board member.
- Support YES! events through attendance when practical, and open doors for YES!, tapping into your personal spheres of influence.
- Speak on behalf of YES! as needed, and share our story with the community at large. You will be acting as our 'ministry agent' for ongoing work with adults over fifty, younger generations, churches, and other ministries.
If you have questions regarding YES!, please feel free to contact Wes or Judy or any of our current board members. They will be happy discuss them with you.
PROCESS OF NEW YES! BOARD MEMBER SELECTION
1. Any current board member is welcome to nominate a new prospective board member.
2. Nominations are subject to the parameters outlined in the bylaws regarding number of board members. A board member may be elected to a full term or to fulfill the remainder of a vacated term of office.
3. If there is any noted hesitation related to proceeding with approaching a new nominee, these hesitations will be openly discussed with board members before proceeding.
4. Efforts will be made to look at the current mix of board members and to fill in potential missing gaps in perspective and abilities. A goal is to assemble a board passionate about the mission of YES! and rich in diversity. As a ministry seeking to be both interdenominational and intergenerational in leadership and outreach, these diversities are of particular significance.
5. Assuming no known objection, communication will then be initiated by the Executive Director or Board Chair. The potential candidate is approached, asking if he/she might prayerfully consider becoming a part of the YES! Young Enough to Serve Board of Directors.
YOU'VE ALREADY REACHED THIS POINT. :)
6. If prayerful consideration is agreed to, this web page is then forwarded to you, the candidate. This page includes:
a. Outline of responsibilities for YES! board members.
b. A copy of this board selection process description.
c. Current bylaws.
e. Your board member application form. (See below.)
7. If you remain open to proceeding, please then electronically submit the application form below to the Board Chair.
8. The Board Chair will then forward your application form to the other board members, and a current board member (preferably one who does not yet know you) will be asked to informally interview you. You are encouraged to ask any questions you might have about YES! or about serving on the YES! board of directors. Ideally, this interview takes place in person, but if a direct meeting is not practical, a phone or video conversation is arranged.
9. Assuming this interview confirms continued mutual interest, your name will then be presented to the board in advance of the next meeting for ratification (by a specially called phone conference or by unanimous written consent, as allowed in the bylaws) .
10. Following ratification, you are asked to submit this Covenant Agreement.